Friday, May 29, 2009
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
The submissions process is off to a slow start, but a start nonetheless. It will pick up steam soon, but I need one more weekend to have this manuscript where I want it to be for this part of the writing journey.
Submissions and responses can take a long time. The longest response time I've recorded so far was over 400 days. That's more than a year to hear back on a manuscript that was requested by the editor in question. Have to admit the time between editor's request and actual submission was much longer than a year. It wasn't ready and life happened a lot in the intervening time.
Writing - excellent practice at delayed gratification.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
There comes a time when I just have to make a change that I really don't want to.
Today was the day that I chopped, hacked and otherwise dismantled 5 chapters of Garlic. After those pages were put back together, they were only 3 chapters long. And the timeframe covered shortened from 2 weeks to 2 days. Editing is still required for the whole manuscript, but at least this one issue is resolved in a way that will, hopefully, make it more palatable to a reading public (but first - the agents/editors/publishers).
Note: Revised timeframe to 4 days. Gotta have some wiggle room.
Friday, May 1, 2009
I spent a week in boot camp. Not the military kind and this one was done on my computer while sitting at my desk. Erica Orloff ran a synopsis boot camp last week. I ended up with 1515 words of a Garlic synopsis - edited down to 1490 this week.
What I learned: A good synopsis is a short story in and of itself and not a string of "this happens" and "then this happens". Getting descriptions from your novel into the synopsis is a great way to add flavor. Synopses should not be boring.
Easier said then done, but it wasn't the impossible task I'd thought it would be.